The previous Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge hosted more than 50 of the best bartenders and industry experts from all around the world.
In 2018 Latvia will celebrate its 100th anniversary, and Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge 2018 will bea tribute to this unique event. More discoveries and new creations with the legendary Riga Black Balsam!
Riga Black Balsam Cocktail Challenge is dedicated to celebrate this elixir’s flavour versatility and raise its awareness worldwide. Professional bartenders are invited to challenge themselves by creating unique flavour combinations with Riga Black Balsam
To raise Riga Black Balsam (RBB) awareness in Latvia and internationally.
To raise bartenders’ comprehension about Riga Black Balsam as a unique cocktail ingredient.
To encourage RBB use in cocktails and creation of new and original drinks based on RBB.
To run local competition rounds and promote best local bartenders to the Final Global Round of Riga Black Challenge – November 29, 2018 in Riga (Latvia).
- Entry is open for individual contestants of minimum age of eighteen (18) years. Only bartenders with present professional employment are admitted to the competition. Lecturers and bartending school teachers are not admitted to the competition.
- All rights to all submitted cocktail recipes and names are transferred to Amber Beverage Group.
- Only new and original recipes shall be accepted.
- Cocktails can be made using the following techniques: Build, Stir, Shake or Blend. Organizers will not provide any of necessary bartender’s equipment.
- The following drinks are allowed to be created: Before Dinner, Sparkling, Fancy, Long Drink, After Dinner. Shots and Hot drinks are not allowed.
- Strictly no: Use open flame or heating up any ingredient is strictly prohibited.
- During competition competitor will prepare five (5) cocktails according to the recipe. Of these, four (4) cocktails will be used for judging, one (1) to display for public viewing.
- Competitors will be limited to seven (7) minutes for mixing their cocktails.
- Entry forms for Final Global Round of Riga Black Challenge have to be submitted online at email@example.com from 21.10.2018 – 26.10.2018 (deadline 14:00). Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Maximum number of contestants is limited to 40 at Final Global Round of Riga Black Cocktail Challenge.
- Maximum 3 contestants per country allowed
- Local competition rounds can be run, after prior approval by the Organizers and has to be organized based on Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge Rules & Regulations.
- Strictly no: Direct entry for contestants if local competition rounds are organized (in particular countries).
- Organizers serve the right to grant certain number of Personal Invitations (so called “Wild Cards”) and revise the maximum number of contestants at Final Global Round of Riga Black Cocktail Challenge 2018.
- Cocktail may not contain more than six (6) ingredients including dashes and drops. All ingredients that are in contact with cocktail, or ice are counting as cocktail ingredients.
- Recipe must be expressed in centilitres (cl), divided in respectively whole numbers (1 cl, 2 cl, 3 cl, etc.) and/or in half numbers (0.5 cl, 1.5 cl, 2.5 cl, etc), bar spoons, dashes or drops being the smallest quantities.
- The recipe must contain at least 7 cl and maximum 30 cl of liquids. The drink category may be Short, Medium or Long Drink.
- The recipe must contain at least 2 cl of either of Riga Black Balsam, Riga Black Balsam Currant, Riga Black Balsam Cherry or Riga Black Balsam Element. More than one Riga Black Balsam variety may be used in the recipe.
- Only Riga Black Balsam products have to be as base spirit used in the cocktail.
- Strictly no: The use of liqueurs or any other spirit drinks up to 30% ABV, except aromatic bitters.
- Recipe may not contain more than 7 cl of alcoholic drinks including aromatic bitters.
- Strictly no: The use of homemade or pre-made ingredients is strictly prohibited.
- Only commercially made juices, waters, soft drinks and/or bitters are permitted. Freshly squeezed juices are allowed to use and must be prepared in back stage area during the garnish time.
- Dairy products shall consist only of milk, cream, vanilla ice cream.
- Strictly no: The use of eggs or any egg products is strictly prohibited.
- All necessary ingredients except Riga Black Balsam products, all glassware, shakers and other necessary equipment must be provided by the competitor.
- Garnishes and freshly squeezed juices must be prepared in back stage area during the garnish time (fifteen (15) minutes), prior to going on stage. Competitor exceeding the preparation time fifteen (15) minutes will be penalized by ten (10) points from overall score of participant.
- Strictly no: The use of pre-made garnishes is strictly prohibited.
- All participants must use their own bartending tools. Participants provide all the ingredients for garnishing by themselves.
- Garnishes must be edible.
- Manufactured products (such as cocktail picks etc.) may be used to fix the garnish to the glass, but will not be used to enhance the visual appeal of the garnish.
- The use so called “side-garnish” or “staged cocktails” (cocktails served on small plates, saucers, trays with additional garnishes on display next to the cocktail glass) is not permitted and will not present to tasting judges.
- Garnishes may be placed on glasses once the competition presentation has started. Placing the garnish on the glassware prior to preparing the cocktail is not accepted.
- Only non plastic straws and stirrers will be allowed.
- The running order of participants will be drawn prior the competition.
- Competitor will present themselves in the colour of their guild or in full bartender’s uniform.
- Competitor will be given two (2) minutes preparation time on stage for the competition.
- Competitors will be limited to seven (7) minutes for mixing their cocktails. The penalty time for competitors exceeding their performance time of seven (7) minutes is ten (10) points for each 30 seconds of exceeding time. Penalty points will be deducted from overall score of participant.
Only lead bartenders, experts and brand owner representatives will be invited as competition judges.
Tasting panel will consist of four (4) judges. The cocktail will be judged by the following criteria:
Appearance: 1-10 points
Aroma: 1-10 points
Taste: 1-20 points
Overall impression (including the name of the cocktail): 1-10 points
Competitors will be judged on efficiency when preparing the cocktail during their performances. The technical scoring starts with a maximum of thirty (30) points. See Appendix A Download of Evaluation Technical Sheet.
Grand Prix: € 3,000
2nd Place: € 1,500
3rd Place: € 500
- Direct entry for contestants if local competition round is organized in particular country.
- The use of liqueurs or any other spirit drinks up to 30% ABV.
- Use of more than six (6) ingredients including dashes and drops.
- More than 7cl of alcohol used in recipe including aromatic bitters.
- The use of homemade or pre-made ingredients, garnishes.
- The use of eggs or any egg products.
- Use open flame or heating up any ingredient.